Outdoor Museum Tours:
Battleship USS Iowa served our country proudly in WWII, Korea, and the Cold War. Today, the historic U.S. Navy ship is an iconic Los Angeles landmark and considered one of the region’s best outdoor museums for families and visitors of all ages. During your fresh air visit and tour, you will follow in the footsteps of sailors and our mischievous mascot Vicky the Dog and experience first hand why she is know as the “Battleship of Presidents”, “The Grey Ghost”, and “The Big Stick”.
The self-guided outdoor tour includes free use or our award-winning mobile app and the Vicky the Dog scavenger hunt. Create memories and see why Battleship USS Iowa visitors continue to rate us as one of the best outdoor museums in Los Angeles.
Your visit and/or donation supports education, veterans, and community programs at Battleship USS Iowa Museum – a 501c3 non-profit organization. Open daily for museum tours from 10am to 4pm. Overnight programs, event rentals, and filming available daily.
Purchase General Access Pass
The Battleship USS Iowa Museum General Access Pass includes ship entry and access to the self-guided outdoor tour route.
INCLUDES: An approximately 120-minute introductory overview self-guided tour aboard the historic Battleship USS Iowa, Vicky the Dog Scavenger Hunt, free use of our mobile tour app and wi-fi, a visit to various outdoor museum exhibits, and shopping in our retail store (when available).
Enhance your General Access Pass with one of our Behind the Scenes Museum Tour Experiences below (currently closed due to public health guidelines)!
(under 3 free)
STEP 2: Choose Your Add-On Experiences
OUR MOST POPULAR ADD-ON TOUR!
Step into the world famous USS Iowa Captain’s Cabin and hear the stories about President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s historic trip across the Atlantic on board the IOWA in 1943. This top secret mission was set-up to transport FDR across the Atlantic to meet with Churchill and Stalin at the Tehran Conference. This fully guided 45 minute experience will delve into FDR’s mission, and will tell the stories of his most trusted advisers and military leaders that accompanied him on that trip. You will hear about a close call involving another escort ship providing protection duties for the IOWA that could have changed the course of WWII. We will describe the modifications to the IOWA that were necessary for FDR’s comfort and mobility while he was on board and actually see the bathtub built for the President that still remains to this day as a visual reminder of his time on board The Battleship IOWA.
PER GROUP (up to 6) ADD-ON / UPGRADE COST: $50
(This covers up to 6 people for a President’s Tour and doesn’t include General Access Pass Cost)
Duration 45 minutes
Starting Location Ship’s Entrance on Main Deck
Available Daily at:
10:30 AM, 12:30 PM, 2:30 PM
LOST AT SEA &
The Explorations of Robert Ballard
Ballard is known the world over for his discovery of the final resting place of RMS Titanic; yet, many vessels that he has rediscovered have been claimed by our oceans, lying undisturbed in “undersea museums.” The Battleship IOWA is proud to highlight this partial retrospective of some of his underwater adventures. A debut for the Battleship IOWA Museum, the showcase may also be the first that highlights Ballard’s oceanic investigations. “Lost at Sea: The Explorations of Dr. Robert Ballard” was made possible by a generous grant from the Confidence Foundation and sponsored by Dr. Robert Ballard, Port of Los Angeles, Ocean Exploration Trust, and AltaSea.
Duration: 30 to 60 minutes
Starting location: Third deck
Private Guided Tour Add-On Experiences (coming soon)
It’s time to bring out the BIG GUNS! We’ve opened one of our battleship gun turrets for guided behind-the-scenes tours… but this is not all you’ll see.
We’ll take you on an epic behind-the-scenes tour that weaves through levels of the historic Navy ship never before opened to the public, down hatches, up ladders, into the lives of battleship sailors throughout history, and culminates in an awe-inspiring view of the mechanical marvel at the heart of our battleship: the 16 inch guns.
Due to the limited spaces on each tour it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you purchase your ticket prior to your arrival date. These tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable to another date and time.
You must be 10 years of age or older to take this tour.
PER GROUP (up to 6) ADD-ON / UPGRADE COST: $180
(This covers up to 6 people for a Private Gun Tour and doesn’t include General Access Pass cost)
Duration: 2.5 Hours
Starting Location: Main Ticket Booth
Available at 1:00 PM Saturdays and Sundays
Explore the depths of the iconic warship and see the areas below deck that keep the ship moving! The Battleship USS Iowa Engineering Guided Tour takes you and your guests behind the scenes to explore the depths of the most innovative warship during WWII.
During your guided tour you will see first hand and hear stories about the engine room, boiler room, hospital, post office, Combat Engagement Center and plot room. You will walk along passageways that thousands of sailors transited during both peace and wartime service. Gain exclusive access to areas that have been off-limits to the general public since the ship went into commission in 1943. Due to the confined spaces along this tour, it is limited in group size and daily availability.
Guests are required to wear closed-toe footwear due to ladders and grated decking. The guest must be able to negotiate the ladders that will take them up and down to these unique spaces on board. This museum tour is not recommended for children under the age of 10 or those with physical conditions that may impair their ability to negotiate the stairs or stand for prolonged periods of times.
PER GROUP (up to 6) ADD-ON / UPGRADE COST: $180
(This covers up to 6 people for a Private Engineering Tour and doesn’t include General Access Pass cost)
Duration: 2 hours
Starting location: Main Ticket Booth
Available at 2:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays
Purchase Online In Advance (or in-person)
The safety of Guests and Crew is our utmost priority. We are following Los Angeles County public health guidelines and have implemented the following measures for your safety.
- Limited capacity physical distanced tours. We reserve the right to close areas that may be difficult to physically distance. Tickets are available online in advance by clicking here.
- Our mascot Vicky the Dog scavenger hunt is available on our free award winning mobile tour app and on board with a paper card available at the “forward quarterdeck” upon boarding. Download the free mobile tour app in your iPhone or Android store.
- For Self-Guided Tour Experience (available during outdoor and indoor museum openings), please download our free award winning tour app in the iPhone or Android. Search for “Battleship IOWA” in your mobile devices store. We provide free wi-fi during your tour aboard and it is available in most public areas. More details at: https://www.pacificbattleship.com/museum_visit/get-the-award-winning-app/
- For Private Guided Tour Experiences (available during indoor museums openings only), guides will provide you a memorable experience but will also ensure continued physical distance.
- We have increased our disinfecting routine throughout the day (utilizing a electrostatic disinfecting tool) to include frequently touched surfaces, handrails, restrooms, etc.
- Face coverings are required for all Guests and Crew.
- All non-essential crew will continue working remotely.
- Designated signage promoting 6′ of distance and hand washing.
- Deployed hand sanitizer and/or hand washing stations through the venue.
- Mandatory no-access for Guests or Crew that have experienced flu-like symptoms in the prior 72 hours.
- If you are in a high-risk group, we encourage you to remain safe at home.
- By purchasing access pass(s) and/or visiting the property and vessel operated by the Battleship IOWA Museum, on behalf of those attending with your group or utilizing any passes that you acquire have reviewed the Safety Protocols and Guidelines outlined on this page and will strictly adhere to them. Additionally, all individuals entering the property and/or vessel knowingly visit at their own-risk and agree to not visit the premises if any flu-like symptoms have been exhibited in the 72-hour period prior to arrival. Failure to adhere to these guidelines may result in removal from the property.
Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or callto purchase tickets via telephone or for any questions you may have. Thank you!
The “BIG STICK” VIP Experience & Luncheon