Youth Education Programs
|A field trip to Battleship IOWA presents an array of entirely novel stimuli to the student. The features of a battleship compel their attention as it confronts them with features unprecedented in their experience. Most student visitors have never been aboard a ship of any type, much less a vintage WWII warship. They walk through President Roosevelt's private cabin, and climb to the Admiral's Bridge for an unmatched seven-story vista of their historic maritime village. They participate in a STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) experience coupled with history creating a well-rounded educational event.|
As they enjoy lunch in the Crew's Mess, students begin to sense how life aboard IOWA might have been for generations of U.S. Navy sailors--and they can realize and appreciate the sacrifices made on their behalf. As a museum, Battleship IOWA offers student visitors so much more than a one-dimensional viewing of art; so more than more screens or interactive games; the ship is an all-encompassing tactile artifact of their families and their community.
Pacific Battleship Center is in the process of developing STEAM education programs for our local schools to participate in. We have teamed up with regional partners to establish a maritime driven curriculm that is engaging and educational. We have received initial funding from the Crail-Johnson Foundation, ARUP, Kenneth T. and Eileen L. Norris Foundation, Harbor Community Benefit Fund, Shultz Steel, Employees Community Fund of Boeing California, Whitney Young Children's Foundation, and numerous other donors for the early phases of our education programs. The first phase is Camp Battleship Youth Overnight Program due to open in December 2014.
- Field Trip: take a guided tour on the Battleship IOWA and learn what it was like to operate a city at sea. Learn the basics of sea service, hear the stories of 70 years of history, and enjoy a once in a lifetime experience.
- Camp Battleship: a youth overnight program that begins with a STEAM introduction tour, dinner, evening activity, and sleeping in the actual bunks that sailors used during IOWA's last commissioning. Continue to enjoy the ship in the morning with breakfast in the mess decks and time in our ship's store. Camp Battleship guests continue to rave about the fun they have on board the ship!
- Q2 - 2015: Victory the Dog Field Trip Program. This will follow Victory's trip on the IOWA and include stops with hands-on STEAM activities such as knots, pully's, recipes, hydrodynamics, steam power, and other ship related activities.
- Mid 2015: We have partnered with LAUSD to create and host an expanded field trip program that can be expanded to other schools in our area.
- 2nd half of 2015: ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) program that includes design, build, and operation of underwater ROV's to study growth on the hull of the ship. This program can be combined with other education programs to create a multi-day experience.
If you are interested in booking a field trip, please email email@example.com
If you are interested in booking Camp Battleship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Initial funding provided by: